Harlem Battles Obesity With Flavor
Explore the Flavor of Health, a FREE event in Harlem, featuring Baby Boy star and celebrity fitness guru AJ Johnson...and Harlem's own Lindsey Williams, author of NEO SOUL
Explore the Flavor of Health, a FREE event in Harlem, featuring Baby Boy star and celebrity fitness guru AJ Johnson...and Harlem's own Lindsey Williams, author of NEO SOUL: Taking Soul Food to a Whole 'Nutha Level and owner of Neo Soul Events & Catering and grandson of famed Harlem restaurateur Sylvia. The Explore the Flavor of Health event will be held on Saturday, November 10th, at the 369th PAL Armory in Harlem, and is presented by the GSK Multicultural Council on Weight Management.
Learn how the Capital of Black America -- Harlem -- is set to start the battle vs. the overweight & obesity issue, now an epidemic among African-American & Hispanic communities nationwide. So, we're starting with the basics: Healthy eating, Physical activity, and Healthier lifestyle. See media advisory, below. Best, Luvon Roberson at 917-528-1049
WHAT: Explore the Flavor of Health is a free, fun event in Harlem, New York City on Saturday, November 10, 2007, featuring local African American and Latin American restaurants sampling healthy and delicious, flavor-filled dishes. Free raffles, giveaways: Bicycles; Modell's Sporting Goods gift certificates; George Foreman grills; Bally's Total Fitness memberships; more fun! Children under 18 MUST be accompanied by adult for admission to this free event.
Event highlights: live cooking demonstrations; advice from dieticians on portion size and how to read nutrition labels; health consultations with doctors; and guidance from physical fitness experts on getting active.
Go to www.exploretheflavorofhealth.com or http://www.exploretheflavorofhealth.com/ for more details.
WHO: A group of acclaimed African American and Hispanic specialists -- who comprise the Multicultural Council on Weight Management -- in the areas of health, fitness and nutrition, including:
- New York's-own & grandson of famed Harlem restaurateur Sylvia's: Lindsey Williams, author of NEO SOUL: Taking Soul Food to a Whole 'Nutha Level and owner of Neo Soul Events and Catering; Dr. Valentine Burroughs, Associate Professor of Medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in Manhattan; and Ary Nunez, acclaimed Hispanic Fitness Trainer, owner of Gotham Global Fitness, LLC.
- AJ Johnson, nationally acclaimed Celebrity Fitness & Wellness Guru, star of Baby Boy & creator of www.theajzone.com or http://www.theajzone.com/ . Nationally-based Dr. Niva Lubin-Johnson, M.D., Senior Attending Physician at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago; Dr. Elena Rios, M.D., M.S.P.H., CEO of National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA); Dr. Rene Rodriguez, M.D., Founder and President, Interamerican College of Physicians and Surgeons (ICPS); Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD, LD, NCSF, CEO of Hispanic Food Communications, Inc..
Restaurant participants include:
- Sylvia's - family run, soul food restaurant in Harlem operating since 1962
- Billie's Black NYC - soul food restaurant in Harlem known for its warm, friendly atmosphere
- Melba's - Harlem, southern comfort restaurant run by Melba herself
WHY: With approximately 3 in 4 African American adults (69.6%) and Hispanic adults (73.4%) in the U.S. reported as overweight or obese, it is clear that multicultural communities need help in the ongoing battle against obesity1-2.
WHERE: 369th PAL Armory in Harlem, New York City.
Entrance to the armory is on 143rd Street between 5th and Lenox Avenues.
Subway: number 3 train to 145th Street. Bus: M7, M102, Bx19 bus to 145th St.; M1 bus to 146th St.
WHEN: Saturday, November 10, 2007. 10:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
Media Contacts: Luvon Roberson/917-528-1049; Janna Hughes, Footsteps, 212-336-9772
Presented by GlaxoSmithKline Multicultural Council on Weight Management, the event is sponsored by alli®, the only FDA approved over-the-counter weight loss product.