Brooklyn Blackout: Governor Cuomo Blasts CON EDISON energy company--Deploys Troopers and Power Generators

-A +A
0

Governor Cuomo. Photo: Facebook

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has deployed generators and personnel to assist with power outages in Flatbush, Brooklyn, and directed the State Department of Public Service (DPS) to expand its investigation into Con Edison power outages following his directive that DPS to investigate last weekend's widespread power outages on the west side of Manhattan.

The Governor has deployed 200 troopers,100 generators and 50 light towers as well as personnel and command vehicles from the State Office of Emergency Management. Earlier this evening, Con Edison reported that its Brooklyn Queens Control Center had to shed a grid to relieve overloaded portions of the electric system, resulting in power outages to approximately 35,000 customers in the following neighborhoods in Brooklyn: Canarsie, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Georgetown, and Flatlands. 

The Department of Public Service and the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services has been in constant communication with Con Ed to assist and push the utility to bring power back to customers as soon as possible. "We have been through this situation with Con Ed time and again, and they should have been better prepared — period," Cuomo said. "This was not a natural disaster; there is no excuse for what has happened in Brooklyn. Tonight I have deployed 200 troopers, 100 generators and 50 light towers to help assist with the outages. I have also directed the PSC to widen its investigation into last week's blackout in Manhattan to include tonight's outages in Brooklyn.

"Safety is our top priority, and during this time it is critical that we check in on our neighbors, especially the elderly, to ensure all are safe until the situation is resolved," Cuomo said.

On July 13, a widespread blackout occurred in midtown Manhattan and part of the Upper West Side as the result of an issue with a transmission line. At its peak, the number of customers without power reached approximately 72,000, and subway service was disrupted on the A, C, D, F and M lines. 

Cuomo directed the Department of Public Service to investigate Con Edison and the cause of the outages.

 

 

Also Check Out...

NASCAR’s Bubba Wallace Pushes Back
Children's Anthology Seeking
Kenyan Protesters Torch Police
CARICOM Leader on COVID-19: “We
Language of Voter Suppression
Trump Attacks Bubba Wallace Over